Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Governo Toscano Rosso: A Wine to Remember





I want to talk about wine, and specifically an Italian beauty I picked up while enjoying lunch at a little German wine bar. 2012 Governo Toscano Rosso.

While the waiter asked me what I’d like to drink and I sputtered this and that, mispronouncing everything but hoof and mouth, he kindly inquired if I’d like his recommendation.  Oh, hell yes!  Dribble it on me, slap it to me, slosh it for me.

“Perhaps you would like a sample?”  A simple yes would have done the trick, but I insisted on punishing several more verbs and shredding the grammar like a bulldog with a yen for raw flesh.

The small, stemmed glass nestled gently in my paw, I took a sip and was overwhelmed with bursts of plum, undertones of cherry, and a depth of palatory pleasure I’ve seldom experienced since the first time I…but that’s another story.

I finished a delicious lunch and bought two bottles to go, just in case.  Cost of this luxurious red wine was 12.50 Euros or about $14.50 per bottle.

I opened one of the bottles this evening and grudgingly shared it with my family.  After all, one bottle of wine only goes so far and a man must have his secrets, so I hid the second bottle.

The waiter at the casa vino told me the wine would stand up to a good steak.  I decided to test the theory, but with something even stouter than steak, corned beef.



Reubens seemed to do the trick.  I know you know how to make Reuben sandwiches, so I won’t go into details about:  defrosting the corned beef, putting it in a baking dish, along with the juices and a cup of water, then slathering yellow mustard over the upturned fatty side, along with healthy doses of black pepper and chili powder.  No need to mention that I rubbed this paste all-over the top, then covered the meat with foil and cooked it in a pre-heated 325ºF (165ºC) oven for 4 hours.

Next I pulled it out, poured off the juices, recovered the dish and put the corned beef back in the oven for a couple of hours, until it was fork tender.  Pretty standard stuff and I know you’re bored.

You surely don’t want to hear about making your own delicious Russian dressing.



1 Cup mayo, 3 T Colman’s Horseradish Sauce, 1 T Worcestershire Sauce, 2T capers, ¼ Cup catsup, 3 T minced onion, plus 2 T chopped green onions.



Then there’s the sauerkraut that must be well drained and pressed to take out all the moisture, then heated.  First choice is fresh sauerkraut, second is glassed, and third, if you must, is canned.

Finally, there are thick slices of sturdy peasant bread to be buttered and slices of Swiss cheese.


You know, of course, to grill the Reubens as you would a grilled cheese sandwiches.





But, I told you I want to talk about the wine!  And, what exactly does it mean “stand up to a steak?”  Quite simply it means your mind is in a quandary as to whether to sip or chew.  The flavors balance and enhance each other.  You’d think:  Reuben sandwich, with it’s fierce spectrum of piquancy would overpower everything short of crude oil.  Not so, mon ami.  This wine added an exquisite aroma that lingered on the tongue and brought out the best of the corned beef.


What a colorful finish.  Bold, but without the heavy tannins.  Governo Toscano Rosso is not a wine you’ll have to struggle to remember.  Already finished your Reuben?  Sit back.  Have another glass of this very special vintage.  Picture yourself in Tuscany, by the pool, overlooking  miles of softly rolling, green leafy vineyards.  Maria Rosa is sunning herself languidly, stretching her tanned legs, straining her bikini. Wait!  She’s taking off her top!  Mama Mia!  But first, just another few sips of this delicious wine…


1 comment: