Monday, September 10, 2018

Another Walk in the Woods





Another Walk in the Woods


A waist high ant nest

I would never call myself an outdoorsman or a woodsman.  Camping, with the smell of smoke on my clothes and grit under my nails and the choice between a cold wash-up in the creek and smelling like an exhausted racehorse is no choice at all.  And, sipping burnt coffee from a tin cup can never replace a dry martini in a well tended bar and a comfortable leather club chair.

I don’t hunt or fish, although plenty of my friends do.

But, I do enjoy solitude, which is a rarity indoors, with washing to be done and housecleaning and doorbells and financials that can’t wait, along with emails pinging and iMessages chirping and someone nearby who promises “This will only take a minute.”

So what’s an ‘only comfortable with comfort’ person to do.  I say choose both:  Outdoor strolls, then back to the comfort of home.  So, I take walks in the woods.



Do I mean hikes with a forty pound backpack, and plodding up steep, rocky hillsides?  No, I do not.  For me, it’s a three quarters of an hour stroll through the forests, my trusty camera at my side, hearing the music of the wind rustled leaves, admiring the serene beauty of nature, hearing birds chirping in the trees and watching wild ducks gliding through the water, the bright, careless beauty of wild flowers, the mystery of trails leading to other trails, and most of all, the complete lack of human contact, while only mild hills tax endurance.





The pleasant silence gives a body time to think and plan and figure out what’s important. Strangely, washing and mowing the yard doesn’t make the list.  You can mark out those five-minute jobs and grocery shopping, also.

On this trip through the woods, I got all I asked for and more.

Northern Pintails


A grass snake, about the size of a No 2 Yellow pencil

Relaxing, but not yet martini time.  Guess I better get started on the washing, pick up a few things at the grocers, clean out that closet and see if I can get the &Y^%$# computer to reboot.

Even the beauty of serenity doesn’t last forever.  But, now at least I’m rejuvenated.  Enjoy the rest of the photos!







No comments:

Post a Comment