Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Morning Walk

Photo courtesy of Jan Stroud

I go to the same German bakery every morning, eager to sit and sip and munch.  I chat with those I know and I know quite a few.  All the ladies behind the counter and the regulars who flow past.  We speak.  Shake hands.  Trade smiles. Comment on the weather.  I ask how they’re feeling and if I know their children, I ask about them.




Then I walk home.  Some days it’s a pleasure, but not always.  The bluster of winter, or the hot days of August take their toll on pleasure. But, no matter the morning, I like my stroll private and quiet.  Some like a musical accompaniment, ears with plugs, thoughts blocked out.  I’m not one of those.



Morning Walk

Nostrils moist like morning dew,
The cheeks so rosy, scarf askew,
Lips that quiver when I speak
Through tall forest on I trek.

Past still lakes, reflecting all 
In glassy water, trees so tall
They seem so still and quiet too
Painted on the water’s view.

Up and down the hills alone
Lost in thought, I wander on
Until I’m startled by the sound
Of paws that race on rocky ground.

Come here, calls the man to dog
We trade smiles and then they’re gone.
Lost are all the rhymes I made
Gone the prose my mind displayed.

But, no matter, not forlorn
I’ve watched a new day being born.
I’m content, the sun so bright
Uncovered from the dark of night.

Photo courtesy of Jan Stroud








No comments:

Post a Comment