Sunday, May 26, 2019

An Afternoon in Heidelberg




An Afternoon in Heidelberg

Lots of reasons to visit the historic city of Heidelberg.  But, today I didn’t need a real reason.  Didn’t plan to climb the many steps or ride the funicular railway to the top of the mountain and see the famous castle that overlooks the River Neckar. 


Didn’t plan to visit the famous University of Heidelberg founded in 1386, making it the oldest German university. Didn’t plan to dine at one of the famous student drinking inns, The Red Oxen, of which I have already written. Been operating for about 300 years and still owned by the same family. Nor did we try Zum Seppi, that's been around since the 17th Century.





So, why go if I wasn’t going to gape at the history and ooh and aah over this and that?  Heidelberg comforts me.  Just wanted to walk the cobblestone streets, mingle with the Saturday crowds, do some window shopping and eat some schnitzel and pommes frittes outside, overlooking the River, enjoying the sunshine and sipping a tall, cool Weissbier (wheat beer).   Sadly, no photos of the meal.  My camera fell into a deep well of hunger.



The Heidelberg Schnitzel Haus



So, what else did I do that was exciting?  Nada. Strolled the streets, took photos. Thought about some ice cream, but with camera in hand, I was adrift in my own world.






See, it’s part of my philosophy that a person doesn’t need to be constantly doing something.  Uninterrupted laser focus is not the path to a happy life. Sometimes for balance, ya just gotta stop and smell the beer.  I don’t call it lazy.  I call a very productive time of refreshing the mind.

I’m also good at watching sunsets and sunrises, and starring at bees as they make their floral rounds. Ants moving objects many times their own size?  Irresistible. Speaking with neighbors, or perfect strangers.  Or sometimes just creatively walking the streets of an ancient city and breathing the air of liberation from daily cares.

A wonderful afternoon!









No comments:

Post a Comment