Thursday, December 17, 2020

The Cedar Oak Café and The Olde Towne Gallery






 The Cedar Oak Café and The Olde Towne Gallery.

 

On a Wednesday morning, I woke up thinking of heading up the road to a rustic bit of Americana, The Cedar Oak Café in St Marys, Georgia. For those familiar with the military, you may recognize the name, St Marys being the home of Kings Bay Submarine Base.

 

As one wag said, Kings Bay has more satellites overhead than anywhere on earth, so don’t forget to smile and wave when you drive into town.

 

St Marys is an historic town that belonged to Spanish Florida until 1763, when it became part of Georgia.  So between history and submarine, there’s much to do here.  Museums, festivals, and don’t miss the huge and beautiful homes in the historic district.  



There are also excursions to the equally famous Cumberland Island.  Here’s a link: https://www.exploregeorgia.org/city/st-marys

 

But, the Cedar Oak Café was my center of attention.  Breakfast is my favorite meal and to do it properly, ya gotta git away from them boring Hut this and House that!  I like rustic and off the beaten track, BUT, the food has to be interesting and well prepared.  Not saying the typical breakfast is not good, but if you’re going to drive a few miles, there should be a delight at the end of the journey.

 

I found all the delight I could handle at the Cedar Oak Café in St Marys.  The café shares a building with an artists’ co-op, the Olde Towne Gallery and I’m glad they do.  This gallery shows off local talent that centers on the beauty of the surrounding area.  So, crafts and stuff?  Oh, so much more than that.  This co-op has art and crafts and many of the paintings and sculpture and jewelry would enhance many museums, as well as your home and mine.  Creativity flows down a lengthy hallway and into separate artists’ ateliers.  A combination of a feast for the eyes and a salve for the budget. So reasonably priced, the tags will make you blink.




 

This setup of quaint café and gallery is marketing genius!   And, no they’re not combined in the same room, but you have to go a few paces down the gallery hallway to enter the café.







And in the café, you’ll find an old time décor, with a breakfast and lunch menu with variety, culinary quality, and wonderful service.  This is not just a bacon, eggs, toast and coffee establishment, although you can surely order those.  I opt for the Breakfast Special, of country fried steak, grits, eggs over easy, whole wheat toast and coffee.


 

You have to realize that country fried steak is one of the ten commandments for any southern restaurant.  An addendum says, “Thou shall serve it with delicious sausage gravy!”

 

Now, I make some pretty good country fried steak at home, and my gravy isn’t bad either, but now I am shamefaced.  My attempts are woefully inadequate when compared to the fare at the Cedar Oak Café!  The breading on the steak was delightfully crunchy and the gravy was very close to heaven from a pan.  The rest of my breakfast was equally excellent!




 


My traveling partner ordered an omelet, stuffed with bacon and feta cheese.  I admit, I had my doubts because I am not one who ever gets a craving for feta cheese.  But, I figured, what the heck, I’m getting my country fried steak, so why should I give a hoot?



And then my partner offered me a taste.   My mind flipped a switch and my lips formed the words, “Gimme some more!”  The huge amount of crumbled bacon was crispy, and a touch of feta complimented perfectly the salt crunch of the bacon and the soft flavor of the eggs.  I never would have dreamed of putting these three flavors together and yet, they were perfect!  This talented chef knew what she was doing! 

 

I walk away happy when I know the meal is so good that I couldn’t compete.  This breakfast was so good I won’t even try!

 

I not only have no complaints, but I awoke this morning thinking I  should make another trip to the Cedar Oak Café and I should do it pronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment