Sunday, January 10, 2021

My Almost Authentic Red Beans and Rice

 




My Almost Authentic Red Beans and Rice

 

Traditionally, I’m not traditional.  So, since it was a cold day and I felt like being creative in the kitchen and was hungry for Red Beans and Rice, without having to leave my warm and comfortable home, I scoured the pantry shelves, the refrig, and the vegetable bin. After that it was on to chopping and dicing and wondering what the hell am I doin’?

 

My path of ‘what if’ lead me to an ongoing silent conversation with the ingredients.  Are you worthy of my soup?  Do you have any spicy cousins?  Some nicely shaped vegetables that would add color and intrigue?  You know what I mean.  Something curvaceous, with a soupçon of Je ne sais quoi?  Surprise me with the mystery of temptation.  Oh, yes, do lead me on….

 

So on I sped down the dusty road of endless indecisions.  It may be that my version of Red Beans and Rice may draw the disapproval of New Orleans’ tastebuds, but my version is damn good! 

 

Much better than my previous attempt, the Red Bean.   Anyway, I’d guess Cajun mamas don’t follow strict recipes!  Why should I?

 

So here we go!  Grab yo-sef a bottle of Abita Beer and Laissez le bon temps rouler!

 

Red Beans and Rice

 

Ingredients

Dice the vegetables

2 stalks of celery

½ red bell pepper

½ green bell pepper

1 sweet onion

 

3 cloves of fresh garlic, peeled and thinly sliced

4 links of Andouille sausage, cut in rounds

2 strips of bacon, chopped

4 small pieces of Black Forest ham, or other smokey ham

2 cans of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed

1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed (I had only 2 cans of red kidney beans!)

4 cups chicken or vegetable broth










Serve with rice and Cuban Bread (see link at the bottom of the page)

 

Puttin’ It Together

 

Slosh some olive oil in a big pot, add the bacon and ham.  Add the sausage, mix well and continue to sauté until the sausage is beginning to brown.  Now toss in the vegetables and garlic and gently sauté until the vegetables soften




Add the beans and the vegetable or chicken broth.  It’s going to look soupy, but it will thicken as you allow it to simmer with the lid off.



It was still not thick enough for me, so I used an immersion blender to thicken it up a bit.  You could also use a handheld mixer. Your only object is to bust up some beans.



Get it too thick?  Add a little more broth.

 

Spoon it up!  Drop some rice on top!  Put on some Zydeco!  You in fer a treat!  

 

I served it with Cuban bread.  The link to my Cuban bread recipe is below:

 

Easy Cuban Bread Recipe

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment