Monday, February 8, 2021

Sweet Potato Bread, Quick and Easy

 



Sweet Potato Bread, Quick and Easy 

 

As my faithful readers know, all three of you, I do quick and easy a lot, mainly because I’m as impatient as a man opening Champagne on his wedding night. “For god’s sake, honey, drink faster or this bed is gonna get soggy!”

 

Now my mind is well off the subject…let’s see…..oh yeah, Sweet Potato Bread.  I found this recipe on the Internet, but as many of my commanders noticed during my time in the service, I seldom follow orders as written.  Same with recipes.  Same with spousal …..oh, hell, back to bread.

 

First off, this bread is not sweet, but it is flavorful, and since some Internet doctor, somewhere, sometime, said sweet potatoes are healthy, it must be so.  I’m waiting and searching desperately for the same news about whiskey.  The bastards are taking their sweet time!

 

NOTE:  When I say ‘QUICK AND EASY,’ I’m talking about the prep time and the execution.  Since the recipe uses yeast, it does take a little bit of time to rise, but much less than many breads.

 

Sweet Potato Bread 

(I use a food processor)

 

Ingredients:

 

4 cups bread flour (I prefer King Arthurs, the inventor of the round table.  Took him many knights to figure it out.)

1.5 cups of baked, peeled, and mashed sweet potato (If you use canned, beware.  Lots of water and often sweetened)

1 tablespoon salt

1 package yeast

1.25 cups very warm water

Oil or another vegetable oil

Extra flour for dusting

 

Puttin’ it together

 

Put the dry ingredients in the food processor and pulse a couple of time to mix.  

 

Add the mashed sweet potato to the processor and mix well.

 

Add the very warm water and mix until the dough pulls away from the sides of the food processor bowl.  Too sticky?  Add another small portion of flour, carefully. Remix.

 

Turn the dough out on a well-floured surface, spread it out flatly and fold one end up and over like you’re making a thick taco, Do the same with the other end.  Turn the dough 90 degrees and fold again in the same manner. Form the dough into a bowl shape, oil it well and place it in a large, well greased or oiled bowl.  Cover.  Put it in a warm spot (I put it in my oven, with the oven light on.)

 

Allow it to rise two hours or a bit more.

 

Remove it from the oven and keep it covered.

 

Place a Dutch oven (with the lid on) in the baking oven and heat to 450 degrees.

 

When the baking oven reaches 450, remove the Dutch oven (Careful, this baby is hot!).  Put the dough in the Dutch oven, put on the lid and slide it in the oven for 25 minutes.  (I also add a tray with water on the bottom rack of the baking oven. Steam helps the bread to rise.)

 

At the end of 25 minutes, remove the lid from the Dutch oven, and add more water to the lower tray if necessary.  

 

Bake for another 15 minutes.

 

Remove the bread from the Dutch oven and place it on a cooling rack.  

 

While the bread cools, pop the cork on the Champagne and remind your honey to drink faster!




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment