Monday, March 22, 2021

Sweet Potato, Salsa and Egg Breakfast

 



My faithful readers will realize that my blog is quickly becoming a food and recipe blog.  That’s not my intend, per se. I wake up hungry and with a will of iron, I force myself to hit the bike trail or take long beach walks.  And, these days, seldom do I settle into an arm chair and sip a libation before noon….well, I cheat once in a while, but doctors agree that Jim Beam is good for you…or is that red wine….or maybe Mimosas and Bloody Marys.  So many doctors and so many opinions. I say, doctors are like lawyers.  Find one who agrees with you and go with it.  Why bother with consternation and pay good money to disagreeable people.

 

And then there’s the opinion of my significant other.  Well, I won’t bother you with that either.  She’s young and beautiful and I’ve almost got her student loans paid for. 

 

But, I’ve strayed too far afield.  Let’s get back to recipes that are tasty and will make you feel 25 again, even if you’re already ripening to 29.  And for the rest of us, this one will keep you in the tip top peak of senility. 

 

Sweet Potato, Salsa and Egg Breakfast

 

INGREDIENTS:

 

2 medium sized sweet potatoe

1–2 eggs per serving

olive oil

sea salt and pepper

 

For the Tomato Avocado Salsa:


1/4 cup minced red onion

1 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro, leaves and stems

2 Teaspoons minced jalapeno

sea salt to taste

2 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice

2 big handfuls of mixed cherry tomatoes, quartered, seeds removed (see note)

2 Tablespoons oil cured, sundried tomatoes, chopped

1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and cube

Olive oil




 

NOTE:  I rolled my sliced cherry tomatoes on paper towels to remove the seeds and keep the salsa from being too watery..

 

PUTIN IT TOGETHER:


Preheat the oven to 425ºF.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray the paper with olive oil.

 

Wash the sweet potatoes and cut off both ends. Cut them in half lengthwise, and place them face down on the parchment paper. Roast in the oven for about 25 minutes or until soft.  

 

While the sweet potatoes are cooking, make the salsa. 

 

Mix all the prepped ingredients. Set the salsa aside to let the flavors marinate while the potatoes finish cooking.

 

Heat a medium sized skillet over medium heat, and add a small amount of  olive oil. Add the eggs to the heated pan one at a time, and season with salt and pepper. Place a lid over the skillet for over-easy eggs and cook until the eggs reach your desired doneness.

 

Serve the eggs over the warm sweet potatoes and load on the fresh salsa!

 

Now that you’ve gotten back from your bike ride, it’s time to shower, shave, give your significant other a kiss, if the two of you are still speaking.  Dress yourself, find an easy chair and grab that Jim Wine or Mimosa Beam.  It’s a late lunch anyway, so it can wait a little longer.




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment