Sunday, September 6, 2026

Is It Chili or Not? By the Careless Cook

 






To stop the rambling discussion that is surely coming, let’s just say, every cook already has a favorite chili recipe, and I’m sure as hell not going to argue with a Texan, which might end in gun fire. 

 

And to let you know, I do not have concealed carry. Not in my kitchen or a bar room.  My wife on the other hand.  Only kidding! At least on the concealed part.

 

Now that the tantrums are pushed aside, let’s talk about what I call chili, at least what I call chili today.

 

I am not only a careless cook, but usually a careless cook in a hurry. So, here it comes: I’m in a hurry for chili

 

Chili, in the Food Processer

 

Is it really a recipe? Mine is.

 

Ingredients, but always need to be adjusted according to taste.



 

At least of 2 Cups of your favorite meat (chopped) I used already cooked slices of beef

 

1 Half onion, peeled and chopped

 

4 Cups of water, plus 3 or four cubes of beef bouillon, or more water and bouillon if you need it

 

½ Cup masa harina to thicken, I usually use more because I like thick chili.

    

(Instead of buying masa harina, I put corn meal in my coffee 

grinder. Works well.)



 

2/3 cup of chili powder, more or less, judging by taste

 

A teaspoon of mustard seeds

 

A can of beans (I use pinto), rinsed. This is the one thing I do NOT put in the processer

 

Salt and pepper as you desire.

 

Add a pinch or two of cayenne, depending how much fire you like in your chili.

 

The Easy Part


This only shows the meat.



Put everything, except the beans, in the food processor. Turn it on and leave it on until it is thick.

 

Put the chili in a big pot and heat it carefully. Don’t let it burn!   Add more water if you need it. After it’s properly cooked, cover and leave the chili in the pot for a few hours, or overnight to let the flavors meld.

 

And don’t forget tortillas or tortilla chips!  And beer? Have mercy! And I like to wear a sombrero while my wife serves me with a, “Si, mi esposo maravilloso!” while sitting on my lap to offer another icy beer. 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment