Friday, January 20, 2017

Zucchini Spaghetti - Delizioso!

Oh, baby, it's cold!



Ice on the trees and the chilly winds rake you this time of year.  Even if your home is only 65 degrees, when you step through the door it feels like Florida.  And, speaking of Florida, I do not appreciate my so-called friends writing me to gloat: “Are you chilly?  We spent the afternoon by the pool.”  Just to show how big my heart is, I do not wish them the bad fortune to have to seek medical care, but a good dose of sunburn might do them some good.

Meanwhile, the rest of us reach home, kick the snow away from the car door, wade ankle deep to the front steps and have that sinking feeling that nothing would taste better than the great, hot, rib-sticking meal we don’t have the time or ingredients to prepare.

Ok, I concede, when the cupboard is bare, it is bare.  I have no magic words of consolation, and I’m not about to pay two exotic dancers to knock on your door and heat things up.   One maybe…maybe I could afford one…

How about the fast semi-exotic meal?  Spaghetti.  I see the look of disappoint in your eyes.  Stand-by to change your mind and feel your spirits soar.  How simple can this recipe be?  20-30 minutes (depending on how fast you can slice (fingers not included), plus a few ingredients:  zucchini, mushrooms, peas, garlic, spaghetti, chicken broth,  thyme, cream, grated Parmesan.  You can even skip the chicken broth and use water, if you prefer. 

How great could it be?  Great enough to put a smile on your face and open that second bottle of wine.

You’re going to quibble and say “I have to go to the grocers to get all that.”  Use your head!  Write the few ingredients down and pick them up on your way home TOMORROW!  Five minute shopping spree!  You can’t even arrange for exotic dancers that fast!

Here’s the best part, this dish is so wonderful you can invite that cute somebody next door for supper, or even … wait, can’t go there.  My wife might read this and find out what I’ve…holy celibacy!…I mean, let’s get to the recipe.



Zucchini Spaghetti

1 package (8 oz) of spaghetti – I use Quinoa spaghetti, only because it’s lighter and I like the flavor
2 Zucchini, thin sliced and the slices quartered.
1 Pound mushrooms (I use the brown ones, Cremini, but button mushrooms will do)
3 Cloves garlic, peeled, thin sliced and chopped
1 Cup frozen green peas
Few small sprigs of thyme
1/3 Heaping Cup Parmesan cheese
1/3 Heaping Cup heavy cream (1/3 Cup, plus a splash or two)
16 Ounces chicken broth or 4-4 ½ Cups of water
2 Tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste

Use a big pot.  Pour in the chicken broth or water, toss in the sprigs of thyme and bring to a boil.  Meanwhile, put the butter in a medium sized frying pan and sauté the mushrooms and garlic until they are beginning to turn golden.

(Now you know why I keep a small herb garden.  Thyme, Rosemary, and Sage all last through the winter snows) I also keep a pot of basil in the kitchen window.

Pour the mushrooms and garlic into the chicken broth and add the zucchini, peas, and spaghetti.  That’s right, everything at the same time!  Cook until the pasta is to your liking, about 10-12 minutes.  You’ll notice that much of the liquid has steamed away. 

Take the pot off the stove.  Add the Parmesan and the cream.  Stir until everything is blended.  Took me about 3-4 stirs.

Serve with a light white or red wine and buttered toast points.

Bellissimo!  (Which in Italian means: You gotta greata mushrooms, Baby!)

Red wine???  Yes, you fools!  I love Primitivo from breakfast on… 




3 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. I use quinoa spaghetti too. Mine comes from Trader Joe's and is quinoa and brown rice. Since you do not have a Trader Joe's around the corner, do you find yours on the German market?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading the blog and for commenting, Kathy! Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete