Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Careless Pasta

 



Careless Pasta

 

I was hungry, didn’t have much time and I'm a careless cook……so.

Scouring my pantry, I came across a bag of elbow macaroni. The bag happened to hold ‘gluten free’ pasta, but hungry overcomes fastidiousness nine times out of nine.  And by the way, I didn’t notice any difference in taste.

 

Time for a mild digression. I’m convinced lots of folks merely live by the latest fads, whether it’s medicine or exercise or clothes or whatever.  I know that’s why I  had grabbed a bag of gluten free pasta off the shelf of my local grocer, without one word of evidence that it would make a difference in my already jolly life.   On the other side of the still flipping coin, I’d bet for only some 1% of the gluten free crowd that it does make a difference. 

 

Things you may not know:  Wheat allergy is not the same as gluten allergy.  Gluten is contained in more grains than just wheat, barley and rye, for example.  But, if you really want to know about your intestinal allergies, better get your buns to a board certified gastroenterologist.   Dr. Google, on the other hand, is only certified to treat your mildest medical interests.

 

Do you really care?  No, or at least not my three faithful readers, who only care about getting some pasta in the pot and sinking their fangs into something good, to be washed down with a martini or two.

 

So, let’s get to the making of Careless Pasta.



Ingredients

 

16 oz. package of elbow macaroni (or any other pasta---the careless cook doesn’t care)

28 oz. can of Italian or Italian style crushed tomatoes.  Italian tomatoes just flat taste better. But, I’ve found some U.S.A. grown tomatoes that are damn close (see photo)

Half an onion, diced.   I used a sweet onion.

½ cup of sun dried tomatoes, chopped

Heaping tablespoon of beef broth paste

Tablespoon of Herbs de Provence

2 tablespoons rustic Italian herbs (see photo)

 

Getting’ careless

 

Cook the pasta according to package directions, or cook it as long as you want and do the taste test. Hey, you know your preferences better than the package does.  I added some salt and olive oil to the pot. 

 

While the pasta cooks, sauté the diced onion until lightly caramelized, then add the dried tomatoes and beef paste.  Stir well until heated through.

 

When the pasta is cooked, drain and return it to the pot.  Pour in the crushed tomatoes and add the herbs and onion mixture.  (No, I did not reheat the pasta.  It was still steaming! I just poured the tomatoes from the can.)

 

Decorate with some chopped fresh basil and grated Parmesan, if you wish.

 

Seem too easy?  Too careless?  Wait until you find out how wonderful easy and careless can taste.

 

You may say the martinis had something to do with it, but I bleeg to dis-a-grease.




 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment