Thursday, July 30, 2026

Delicious Easy Bread, from The Careless Cook

 

 

For a long time now, I’ve stopped buying bread that can sit on my shelf for weeks. Ever read what grocery store bread is made of? Better be good at high school chemistry to truly understand. 

 

It struck me that the grocery bread may last as long in my belly as it does on the shelf!

 

You been to Europe?  Let me inform you. If you buy bread in Europe, you better eat it in three days before mold sets in. European bread has only three or a few more natural ingredients, with no chemicals.

 

Now, some of the nervous crowd may say, “It just make sense to have bread that lasts until your next birthday.”

 

If you are one of those, get used to the wonderful things that begin to happen to your body. Bet it’ll be wonderfully amusing. You and your doctor can share a beer and laugh about it!

 

I have a better way to enjoy life. Bake your own bread!

 

You may say, bread is just too hard to make. Takes too long and I don’t have the time. Anyway, I don’t know how, and what if I don’t like it?


 

Read a few little tips to ease your reluctance and sooth your tummy. Then get off the couch and into the kitchen:

 

1.It ain’t difficult!

 

2.Making the dough takes about ten to fiften minutes.

 

3.Lucky you, I’m going to show you how to do it.

 

4. You will like it, and so will your body and so will your friends who think you are a pro.

 

Wait a sec…..doesn’t take long? What have you been drinking?

Yes, I’ve been drinking….coffee….it’s morning!

 

Check this: Prep time, just as I mentioned. 

 

Four hours letting the dough rise….all by itself... while you do whatever wonderful things you have planned. And what if you forget and let the dough rise another hour or so, don't sweat it.

 

Baking time: 40 min

 

Ok, time to get to the details that turns you  into a quick morning  baker!


 

INCREDIENTS FOR A SESATIONAL LOAF OF BREAD

 

3 Cups of flour (I use Italian flour) and a little more for dusting.

¼ Teaspoon yeast

1 Teaspoon salt (I use fairly coarse sea salt)

1 ½ Cups hot water (about 125 -130F). I use my finger to test. If my finger doesn’t scream, the temp right good.

 

(If you wish, just as I wished, add a heaping teaspoon of dried Italian herbs. No problem if you do or don’t.)

 

 

NOW THE REALLY EASY PARTS

 

1.     Mix the ingredients in a big bowl (I used a spatula to make sure everything is totally mixed.)








2.     Cover the bowl with plastic wrap (I used a shower cap)





3.     Let the dough rest for 3 hours at room temp. (I put mine in the oven with the oven light on.  Do not turn the oven on!)


4.     After three hours, put a hand full of flour on the counter or cutting bord. Scurry the bread dough out of the bowl and on the board. Dust flour over the dough.




5.     Fold the dough together about 12 times, adding more dusting flour if you need it.



6.     Use a longer ceramic dish the length of the dough. 

Before you put the dough in, put in parchment pape.




7.     Cover the dough and let it rest on the counter for another hour.




8.     At the end of the hour, turn the oven on to 450F.  Note I put a loaf of water below.


9.     When the oven reaches 450F, put the ceramic dish with the parchment paper and dough in the oven. (The parchment will turn brown, but will not burn, but sure helps ease the baked bread out!)





10.  Bake the bread for about 35 minutes or when it is browned to your desire. (I like mine very dark brown!)

 

There you have a wonderful bread, soft on the inside, crispy crust.




 

No, it did not take you very long.  Ten minutes to get the dough going. Another five minutes to fold the dough.  The rest of the time is just letting the dough sit.

 

When you cut a slice, paint some butter if you must.  

 

If you really want to charm your friends, tell them how you worked several days with a well-known French baker! Not just fifteen minutes while you did the laundry cut the grass and watched a great movie, while you downed a luscious wine with your loved one. 

 

Fifteen minutes just isn’t nearly impressive enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment