1950
“How long have you been working here? I’m assuming you are an in and out kind of woman.” It wasn’t he was being abrupt. Well, yes he was, and knew it. Reporters tend to be abrupt and rude. He worked for a relatively well known paper, and as a side line, he also worked as an interviewer for a trash paper that paid the rent.
He’d been sitting in this rather nice hotel, just scanning the coming and going. As soon as he saw her, he picked her as the type, hoping not to end up on the street with his suit ripped and hearing sirens heading his way.
None of that happen. Apparently, she had no trouble being asked by a nicely dressed and good-looking man who might be able to afford her.
“You are a lady of the night, or pardon me if I’m wrong.”
She smiled smoothly. “I prefer Woman of Glory, and to answer your question, that’s not any of your business. Your real question is, am I what you’re looking for?”
“How old are you?”
“Where is this going? I know you’re writing something that will end up somewhere.”
“You needn’t worry.”
“Please don’t lie! Once on paper……Say something worthwhile or leave me alone.”
This was suddenly going nowhere, so he changed the tone quickly. “I will not use your name or where you…..ummm…where you work or with whom you work.”
“I need to know a bit more before I give you……well, I’m sure you understand,” she said and lost the smile.
“I write for Bedroom Antics.”
“I know of it.”
“Glad to hear it. It’s become popular, especially among the ladies,” he said.
“Why do you think that is? I would have guested men are the biggest readers.”
“Well, I don’t know for sure, but my guess it has fewer partially nude pictures. Women are more interested in…”
“Women, see men as open books, which they are. Men see women as mysteries,” she said.
“You really think men are open books?
“Of course not. Men come to me to chat about Shakespeare, poetry and the Stock Market.”
“Well, Bedroom Antics has a lot for men readers too. I didn’t mean to say only women read it.”
“Like what?”
“Like I’m an interviewer. I gather as much as I can about women in general and especially those of your……your …… is ‘profession’ a word you like? Anyway, men are interested.”
“I prefer An Element of Charm.”
“So how long have you worked as An Element of Charm?”
“Since I was married five years ago.”
“I’m shocked!” His eyes blinked.
“Are you married?” she asked.
“Yes.”
“Happily?”
“Yes.”
“What do you think a wife does?” she asked.
“You mean sex?”
“Is your wife An Element of Charm?”
“I certainly wouldn’t call her that!”
“What would you call her?”
“She is sweet, intelligent, and really lovely.”
“Another way of saying, you’re not getting enough.”
“Let’s leave my home life out of this! I am doing the interviewing! And my wife has nothing to do with it.”
“In other words, she’d much rather be doing the laundry.”
“Ok! Ok! My turn! Would you rather be doing the laundry for you husband?”
“Would you like me to show you?”
----------------------------------------------
“It went well?” Her girlfriend, another An Element of Charm, asked.
She smiled. “Of course. I picked he out in ten seconds.”
“Jesus! that’s all it took? How do you do it?”
“I got him to talk. He thought he was interviewing me!” She smiled.
“Did he …..? “
“Of course. Very generous. Lovely room in that hotel. Very nice guy. And you can bet he has a lot more interviewing to do.”
“Have his name and phone number?” The girlfriend had that hopeful look.
“Oh yes, but his business phone. He insisted. Just, tell him you want to be interviewed. Men are open books, especially married men.”

No comments:
Post a Comment