Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Chili in a Hurry



Chili in a Hurry!

Everyone has got a chili recipe, some carried over from longtime family traditions.  I never mess with arguing against family traditions, in fact my family has a few….well, more than a few. Some of them I refuse to discuss. 

But, chili is special.  Sometimes chili-disagreements result in angry words, fisticuffs and gunfire. Cooks in Texas, claiming to be the home of ‘real’ chili, tell me chili does not have onions or beans, and when they say it, I hear the sounds of pistols cocking.  If I don’t argue, they continue to tell me that real chili is made with chunks of beef, cooked until the chunks fall apart and dang near melt.  I tell them, I’ve made chili exactly like that and it was heavenly!   Sometimes they offer to buy me a Lone Star Beer and sometimes they squint and say, “You ain’t from around here, are ya?”  It’s not really a question; it’s an accusation. 

Unfortunately, I did not have the honor of being born a Texan, and can’t be expected to faithfully abide by all the rules enforced between the Red River and the Rio Grande.  I beg forgiveness that my delicious quick chili is not only made with beans and onions and tomatoes, but I also make it with…..please don’t shoot me…..hamburger.

If this ticks you off as much as finding another man’s underwear in your wife’s closet, please do not read farther.  It ain’t my underwear and furthermore, this chili is delicious!

This chili is a Quickie-In-The-Kitchen, not a lingering romance with the cuisine south of the border, but sometimes a quickie does the trick.

Chili in a Hurry

2 lbs medium lean hamburger (82-90%)
1 large onion, diced
5 cloves of garlic, sliced and diced
4 tablespoons chili powder (or more)
1 can beef stock (or more if the chili gets too thick)
2 died chipotle chilies (or pickled jalapeños, chopped)
   (chipotle has a smoky flavor, so if you don’t use chipotles, add a      dash or two of smoked paprika.)
1 can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic or other seasonings - undrained
1 can Mexican style diced tomatoes, or regular diced tomatoes and add
   more jalapeños – undrained
1 can dark kidney beans (or other beans of your choice)
1 heaping teaspoon masa or finely ground cornmeal
Several splashes of apple cider vinegar

Fry hamburger in a large pot, breaking up the meat as much as possible.  When the pink is gone, add the onions, garlic, and chili powder.  Stir and cook for two minutes or until onions are slightly wilted.  Now add beef stock, chilies, tomatoes, beans and a splash or two of vinegar.  Cook for 30 minutes over medium heat.  Careful not to let the chili boil dry. Add more beef stock if needed.

For presentation and taste, I sprinkled grated cheddar and chopped onion that had been marinated a few minutes in seasoned rice vinegar.

Served with crunchy fried tortillas.  I also oiled, salted, and baked fresh carrots and sliced green and yellow bell peppers. (400ºF)



For a final touch, I served peach cobbler for dessert, using my blueberry cobbler, no stir recipe, substituting chopped fresh peaches for blueberries: No Stir that's my cobbler



Now, grab a Mexican beer or two – I think I mean six packs.  This chili goes against several centuries of Mexican and Texan tradition….OK, call me a rebel.  But, this chili is so good, you’ll join the revolution!

No comments:

Post a Comment