Saturday, May 9, 2020

Mexican Cornbread




We’re still locked down, kinda.  And since you’ve had to give up Canasta, bowling, and python wrestling, you’re searching for things to do.  By now you’ve become the king or queen of the kitchen, yes?  Your loved one or spouse starts to salivate when you strap on that apron, pop the cork on the Champagne and give a wink, accompanied by that certain smile.  In my case, it’s more a blink and an uncertain smile, but hey, my problem, not yours. 

I’ve almost run out of costumes:  Tonight’s the Knight, pirate and winsome captive (so difficult for me to be winsome), Mister Darcy in britches that are way too tight, movie mogul in handcuffs, politician swearing there won’t be photographs,…chef….now that’s a role I play well and the only one that doesn’t garner petty complaints.

So, pop your cork and let’s get cookin’!  Today, we’ll go south of the border for some Mexican Cornbread.  I know you thinking, hmmmmm….Mexican Cornbread?  That’s kinda flat, right?  

No, you’re thinking of tortillas. This cornbread is filled with goodies and cooks in about 35 minutes.  A person who shall go unnamed gave me this recipe and there’s no way you can get me to reveal my wife’s name.  But, I will reveal the recipe.



Mexican Cornbread

1 Cup all-purpose flour
1 Cup yellow or white cornmeal
1 Onion, medium sized, diced
1 Green pepper (I used poblano), seeded and diced
1 Small can Mexi-corn, drained
1 Cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar)
½ Teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 Egg
1 Cup buttermilk (Or add a squeeze of lemon juice to regular milk)
¼ Cup vegetable oil, plus a bit more for the pan (I used Canola oil)

Note:  The only leavening agent is the egg, no baking powder.  This gives you a denser cornbread than the southern style.

Pre-heat oven to 400ºF or 200ºC
Splash some vegetable oil in a 10 inch, oven safe skillet, and slip it in the oven. (I used cast iron.)

Puttin’ it all together

In a large bowl, stir together everything, but the egg, oil, and buttermilk.

In a separate bowl, whip the egg, buttermilk and oil together and add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture.  Stir well.

Remove the hot skillet from the oven and pour in the cornbread batter.  Should sizzle a bit as it’s poured in.

Bake for 35 minutes.

When you pull it out of the oven, let the cornbread rest for 10-15 minutes.  When it’s cooled a bit, flip it upside down onto a pie plate to present the crusty bottom.

You’ve just made some of the best cornbread you’ll ever taste, and practically a meal by itself!

So much easier than trying to fit into Mister Darcy’s skin tight pants, or find the key to the damn handcuffs.


No comments:

Post a Comment