Monday, August 30, 2021

Farmer Style Chicken Stew and Biscuits from The Careless Cook

 



Farmer Style Chicken Stew and Biscuits from The Careless Cook

 

As I have told my three faithful readers many times, I don’t make any difficult dishes.  Let me add a couple of addendums:  I don’t use any ingredients you haven’t heard of, AND if I can make it, you can make it.

 

Which is not to say I don’t sometimes blend unusual combinations.  Take biscuits, for example.  Hey, if you cook with me, you have to expect some twists and turns and blind alleys. 

 

Take my good friend, Daphne, who sometimes asks questions designed to flummox The Careless Cook.  “Does Chinese food come from Japan?”  Oh, Daphne, where to begin?  This is what The Careless Cook calls a blind alley. 

 

“Why doesn’t everyone just speak English? The French sound so stupid!”  Daphne, dear, let’s keep it simple, although I don’t think you can keep it any other way.  Care for another bottle of wine and a straw, while I explain? 

 

Farmer Style Chicken Stew

 

Why do I call it ‘Farmer Style’?  Because, As you will see, I used every vegetable I had in my kitchen.  At this point, the inebriants, who haphazardly follow my instructions, skipping many of the letters, are no doubt blubbering, “Hey Buckaroo, where is the damn recipe???”

 

On their behalf, let’s slosh along.

 

Suggested Ingredients for farmer style stew

(Biscuit recipe to follow)

 

6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs

1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped

1 green bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped

1 sweet onion, peeled and roughly chopped

3 large stalks of celery, finely cut crossways

1 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped (I used those in oil – see photo)

1 large golden beet, peeled and cut in 1 in cubes (a substitute for potato.)

1 carton of chicken broth (32 oz) PLUS one cube of chicken broth (if you want a richer broth)

Olive Oil

Italian seasoning (see photo to see what I used)

Salt and pepper to taste





Heat the oven to 400ºF (200ºC) By the way, did you know that Fahrenheit and Centigrade are the same at -40 degrees?  I find that fascinating, although not as fascinating as …..sorry, I need to press on.

 

Coat the chicken thighs with olive oil and dust heavily with Italian seasoning.  Bake for about 20 minutes, but not long enough to dry them out.  Chop into bite sized pieces.

 

Slosh a little olive oil in a frying pan and toss in the chopped onions.   Cook on medium heat until they are translucent and slightly brown.

 

Pour the chicken broth into a large pot.   Add all the vegetables, plus the onions and chicken.  Cover and cook until the golden beets are cooked, but not falling apart.

 

Taste and add salt, pepper, and a cube of chicken broth. (I used one)  Also, add more Italian seasoning to taste)



Oat-milk Biscuits

 

Oven to 450ºF (230ºC)

 

2 cups flour

3 tablespoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

2-3 pinches black pepper

6 oz melted butter

1 cup oat milk (I like Oatly brand)

 

In a large mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients and mix well.  Pour in the melted butter (I used the bits of here and there butter I needed to finish with…half vegan butter and half regular butter).

 

Stir  in the oat milk and mix well.  I mixed first with a wooden spoon and after it came together, I used my hands.  To finish, dust a counter and knead the dough a bit.  Roll it out to about an inch thick and cut in rounds.  Place on a baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes.

 

Ok, Daphne, let me spare you some breath.  I used oat milk because I’d never tried it for biscuits.  Yes, it turned out deliciously.

 

Can you use other vegetables?  Yes, Daphne, use whatever the hell suits you.  What does chicken taste like?  It tastes like rattlesnake.

 

Now give me a chance to make a huge Manhattan before you ask again.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment