Thursday, January 19, 2023

Rosemary-Maple Cornbread Muffin from The Careless Cook

 


Had enough of cornbread?  Maybe tired of muffins?  Let’s not dwell on silly notions!  Wipe away the drool and let’s tackle another simple and simply wonderful use for cornmeal.

 

With this recipe, the toughest job you’ll have is sliding the pans in the oven.  I take that back.  The toughest job is keeping the hungry hands from grabbing every last one before you get out of the kitchen.

 

I don’t want to scare you, but if word gets around that you baked for some and didn’t invite some….well…you’re on your own.  If I invite ten, I make two times that, so when some whiner beats on my door, I say:  “You didn’t get the email???  Gosh, I wondered, and I saved you some muffins.  Just sorry we’re out of Irish Coffee and just finished the last bottle of a rare and addictive brandy.  Will instant decaf do?”

 

Just lately, I baked these lightly sweetened buns for a group of older ladies in attendance at my wife’s weekly Bible Study class. I bake something different weekly and it seems attendance is constantly going up.  Probably coincidence.  Although I have heard words to the effect of “And bless the baker.” 

 

I baked a double batch for the ladies, just in case every Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John happened to stick his head in the classroom door.

 

 

Rosemary-Maple Cornbread Muffin from The Careless Cook

 

Ingredients

Heat Oven to 350ºF or 180ºC

Grease or spray a 12 pocket muffin tin

 

1 cup cornmeal

1 cup all purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

¼ teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt (I use sea salt)

2 heaping tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary

¾ cup milk (I used coconut milk from the milk aisle, not the canned) 

1 egg

2/3 cup maple syrup

½ cup vegetable oil (I used canola)

1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

 

Puttin’ It Together

 

 Large bowl. Mix the dry ingredients, cornmeal though rosemary. Stir.

In a separate large bowl, mix all the wet ingredients including the egg. I used an electric hand mixer.

 

With the mixer running, mix about a third of the dry ingredients at a time in the wet ingredients. 

 

The mixture will be loose, but not watery.  I used a 1/3 cup measuring cup to fill each muffin pocket about ¾ full.

 

Slide the muffin pan into the preheated oven.  Bake about 18-20 minutes, depending on your oven.  I use the “stick the knife in the muffin” technique to test for doneness.  The knife blade should come out cleanly.

 

I like to wait about 10-15 minutes before I take the muffins out of the muffin tin.  But, don’t wait too long.  Hot is best and besides you don’t want men, women, and children crowding the cook.




 

****************************

Like this recipe?  SUBSCRIBE!  Feel free to make comments.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment