Friday, November 10, 2017

Fratello's Italian Tavern, North Charleston, SC


Today your very friendly blogger is here to tell you about a fab Italian spot in North Charleston, Fratello’s Italian Tavern. 

Super lunch spot, but first a word about my fascinating childhood, when I learned all Italian food comes from a can via the capable hands of Chef Boyardee.



Know all about that brand?  ‘Course not.  As usual you need my help. “Hector Boyardee" was an Italian immigrant who founded the company in 1928, in Cleveland and chose the name to make it easy for Americans to pronounce his real name, Ettore Boiardi (October 22, 1897 – June 21, 1985).



Throughout my fascinating childhood, if you wanted spaghetti, you reached for a can opener. Then at the age of twenty-five, I moved to the wonder that is Europe, and friends introduced me to Northern Italian cuisine.  Oh, the wonder of calamari, mussels and clams in butter wine sauce, veal in a luscious mustard cream, baked cannelloni smothered in creamy goodness, and spaghetti Carbonara, Came as a great revelation to find Chef B was not the only chef in Italy, and all Italian food isn’t sloshed in tomato sauce.  Especially in Northern Italy, where cream sauce is the king. 

Other fav memories were the small outdoor courtyards, where pizzas were hand thrown and tossed into a wood fired oven until they had charred edges.

The point I’m making is I know Italian food.  Matter of fact, even though I have often said the French can teach anyone how to eat, I must make an exception for Italians. Those happy, hearty souls can lay some fine grits on the table.

But, I didn’t expect to find a jewel of Italian cuisine in North Charleston.  Nothing wrong with North Charleston, but South Carolina is BBQ and seafood country.



Fratello’s Italian Tavern is aptly named.  Take your lunch outside under an awning, while you munch some fresh Italian bread and sip an aperitif, or go inside and feel as if you just arrived in Italy.  I love the décor, featuring a long mahogany bar at the rear of the restaurant, oversized Italian posters, and dark cream-colored walls, edged with red brick.




I felt comfortable and I wanted to stay awhile.  No problem. The wait staff isn’t the least bit pushy. My companion and I ordered drinks and a dish of Bamberi to pass the time while we chatted and lingered over the delightful menu.

Wait until your waiter brings you some Prosecco and a bowl of Bamberi, sautéed shrimp in a white wine, garlic, lemon, and butter sauce!



I ordered Insalata Fratello, featuring roasted and grilled vegetables over baby greens, lashed with a light orange vinaigrette. My companion went with a Caesar Insalata with a house made dressing and loaded with tender strips of grilled chicken.  Don’t like those?  Pity.  But, being your friend, helpmate, and culinary advisor, I’ve included a link (below) to the full menu.


Insalada del Fratello

Didn’t go to Fratello’s Italian Tavern for supper, or cocktail hour, but lunch was so good, you wouldn't have to ask me twice.
  Matter of fact, I’ll ask you.  Wanna go for a drink or two and some of the finest Italian food in the greater Charleston area?  Yep, thought you might say yes.  And don’t hold back.  Invite the whole gaggle of your so-called friends and we’ll make it a party.  No can openers required.






1050 E Montague Ave, North Charleston, SC 29405

No comments:

Post a Comment