Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Rutledge Cab Co. Charleston, SC



Time for some Americana.  Yes, I am still American, even though I live in Europe and I love BBQ joints and burger joints. 



But, let’s make a distinction. There are burger joints and then there are special burger joints.  The Rutledge Cab Co snuggles neatly into the second category.  I was there on a packed Monday night for a half priced burger. First time, but I’ll go back.  


Huge, crowded bar, but well stocked and quick service. Couple of guys eating at the bar offered to slide down and make room.  It was that kind of group.   Fairly long wait for a table, that with the milling crowd and everybody sipping, I had some interesting conversations with some new close friends and waitstaff who were interested that I was interested.  Always nice to meet people who are enthusiastic about what they do.

“So do your enjoy waiting tables?”

Bright smile, nice pony tail.  “Yessss!  It’s so much fun! I’d work here for free!”

“Well, good.  I’ll remember not to leave a tip.”

“I’ll remember not to put in your order.”

Followed by much laughter and a wink.   

Makes me wonder what it’s like on a normal night when the beef burgers are ten bucks.  No matter, I would pay full price for a thick burger, cooked medium and stacked with lettuce, tomato and onion on a soft bun, accompanied by thin, crispy fries.


Find a good burger joint and you’ve found the heart of America.  Older, well-dressed men and women.  Ripped jeans and tattooed youngsters who punctuate every other word with ‘like.’  Every ethnicity.  Everybody smiling and chatting.  Don't’ believe all the bullshit in news. It’s America! How can you not like it?




Here’s the web site, so you an check out the full menu.  http://rutledgecabco.com/


Friendly crowd.  Friendly wait staff.  Friendly is good in my book.  And the food is delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment