Saturday, April 4, 2020

Cornbread Cakes





Cornbread Cakes

Some would call these cornmeal pancakes.  Ok. Your choice.  See, I am a true son of the South.  And with that heritage comes an attachment to cornbread that borders on honoring your parents and the rest of your kin. So, for me, these are cornbread cakes.

Saying you’re from the south is a statement that covers a lot of territory, with a lot of flavors, but cornbread and barbecue and everything fried pretty well covers the field.

Now, in these trying times, I do have to take a step back.  Your pantry may not contain all the traditional ingredients.  But, necessity being the overseer of hunger, you do what you have to do and southerners are pretty well equipped for that.

With all that in mind, I’m going to give you two recipes.  The first is a standard version and the second is a ‘dang, I don’t have that’ version.  The second is the one I made because dang and don’t have that became my watchwords.

CORNMEAL PANCAKES
Makes about 8 pancakes

1 1/3 Cups all purpose flour
2/3 Cup cornmeal
2 Tablespoons sugar
4 Teaspoons baking powder
1 Teaspoon salt
1 1/3 Cups of milk
2 Eggs
¼ Cup Canola oil

Mix the dry ingredients, then mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl, then mix them together until the dry ingredients are moistened.  Pour ¼ cup of batter onto a hot, lightly greased skillet.  When bubbles appear on the top of the pancake, flip it over.

Ok, now for my version.  In addition to necessary substitutions, I have to warn you that when cooking, I use the TLAR method, pronounced Tee-Lar and meaning That Looks About Right.

CORNBREAD CAKES
Makes about 8 cakes

1 Cup cornmeal
1 Cup gluten free King Arthur flour
2 Tablespoons of sugar, more or less
1 Teaspoon of salt, I guess
4 Teaspoons of baking powder, I think

About 1 1/3 Cup Almond Milk
2 eggs
A slosh of Canola oil

Do all the things I told you about before.  Almost forgot.  I mixed all the dry ingredients, then mixed the wet ingredients right on top of the dry ingredients.  No one arrested me and they tasted wonderful, so I guess that was ok.


Now you can say what you want about the south, but if it’s not complimentary, just don’t say it around me.  It distracts me when I’m trying to cook.




No comments:

Post a Comment