Friday, April 3, 2020

Throw Together Spaghetti



Throw Together Spaghetti

These days you have all the time in the world to plan a meal, but there’s always a catch.  Today, the catch was I had plenty of stuff on hand, too much to warrant a trip to the grocers. Doesn’t sound like much of a catch, but I also had no plan.

See, I’m a guy who likes to dine, not just eat. So, I searched the cupboards and refig and saw some things that piqued my interest.

I decided on spaghetti, but there was no way to overcome my prideful exuberance and just pour some red sauce over noodles.  Some things just aren’t done in my kitchen.

Didn’t want a cream or cheese sauce either.  Much too much of a cliché.

What I came up with was something that even my fastidious significant other declared to be a tolerable dish.  High praise indeed from someone who eats pizza with a knife and fork and insists that I make salad dressing and bake my own biscuits for breakfast.  Well, it wasn’t breakfast time and there was no lettuce, so that simplified the matter.

I’m a simple man, with exquisitely simple tastes.   But, just to be sure I was on the right track, try this recipe yourself, making your own changes to suit what your pantry holds.

Throw Together Spaghetti

1 Pound ground pork
½ Sweet onion, diced
1 Regular sized colorful sweet bell pepper or a few baby bells, diced
Many good shakes of Italian Rustic herbs (list provided on a photo below)
A full package of whichever spaghetti noodles you have on hand (cooked according to package directions
Olive oil
Salt and pepper





Slosh in a goodly amount of olive oil in a medium to large skillet.  Cook the ground pork, breaking it up as much as possible.  Add the diced onions.

When the onion is translucent, add the chopped bell pepper and the seasonings.  Stir repeatedly, then pour in ¾ cup of water to steam the mixture until all the water evaporates.  Take the mixture off the stove.

Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti.  When done, drain and add olive oil to the pot.  Put the spaghetti back in the pot and stir.  Add more oil if you want, then add the sauce.  Mix well.

Serve with a toss of Parmesan and some sliced green onions.
Now pour yourself some Italian wine, white or red, your choice.

A throw together meal that’s fast and easy and one you won’t forget.

Saluti!   



1 comment: