Sunday, April 26, 2020

Don’t Give A Damn Pizza




Don’t Give A Damn Pizza

Do you have rules for breakfast?  You know what I’m talking about.  Those mental roadblocks.  Can’t eat this, can’t eat that, would never eat THAT for breakfast.  Here are some of the common items that it’s ok for rule followers to eat when they break the fast.

Eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, biscuits, grits, muffins, pastry, cereal, pancakes, waffles, and some infrequently breakfast items, such as steak.  Now I’ve been a pal about furnishing my three faithful readers most of what you need to follow the rules:






And I’m sure there are others for you inveterate followers of rules.

But, I just don’t have any breakfast rules.  So today, when I awoke and wanted pizza, I thought nothing of it until I discovered I was fresh out of yeast for one thing, for another, I didn’t want to spend a couple of hours waiting for the dough to rise!  I wanted pizza right now, in a minute.

Can’t be done, you say, unless of course you have cold pizza left over from the night before. Balderdash!  

Right away I found a recipe for no yeast pizza.  Of course, I modified it because I modify every recipe. Using baking powder instead of yeast, you cut the time for making the crust down to fifteen minutes or less.

Once again the rule makers will say, if you don’t have a yeast-fueled, rising dough, you don’t have a pizza!  And even if you do, you sure as hell don’t want to eat it for breakfast!  Ho, hum.  Heard it all before.

Give this recipe a try.  You know you’ve got fifteen minutes to spare.  Oh, you don’t have any pizza sauce?  Out of the goodness of my heart, I’ll give you a five-minute recipe for that, too.  No mozzarella?  Well, use another cheese!!!

Don’t Give A Damn Pizza

2.5 Cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 sloshes olive oil
¾ Cups water + 2 Tablespoons, if needed
Pizza sauce (see below)
Fresh herbs, or Italian seasoning
Pepperoni or sausage or whatever you want

Oven preheated to 400ºF or 200ºC



For the crust:  mix the dry ingredients, then add the water and olive oil and mix.  Add a bit more water if necessary, but be stingy with the water or you’ll end up with soggy goop instead of dough.  Too soggy?  Add a bit more flour.

Knead the dough a few turns until it’s elastic.

Roll the dough fairly thin and place it on a greased cookie sheet.  Crimp the edges a bit to form a crust.

Simple pizza sauce:



1 Can diced tomatoes, juice included
4 Cloves garlic, sliced thinly
About 6 oz tomato paste
Italian seasonings to taste. I used a couple of tablespoons

Put all in a blender or food processor and blend.

Voilà!

Put the pizza together:

Spread a thin layer of pizza sauce on the prepared dough.  Add cheese and pepperoni and fresh herbs if you have some.  I didn’t!

Pop the decorated pizza in the oven for about 12-15 minutes.

I still hear the undertone of complaints.  Not a real pizza.  Won’t taste good.  You’re not Italian.  Blah. Blah. Blah.  What you don’t understand is, I wanted pizza for breakfast and I wanted it fast! Furthermore, I just don’t give a Damn!


No comments:

Post a Comment