Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Just Takin’ the Shot: More Black and White Photos, Part I

Girl on a bike in Metz, France.


Just Takin’ the Shot:  More Black and White Photos, Part I

Today, I’m presenting more of my black and white photos.  It’s an evil plot to carry you into the mystery and intrigue of places and people you may never have seen, spring on you possible questions unanswered and mysteries unknown.  

The photos come from the U.S. and also from across Europe.

As always, and with the concurrence of Henri Cartier-Bresson, I take the shot and later decide if it’s good or not. A very freeing experience and one I suggest. 

I separate the use of a camera into two realms, photography and snapshots. There’s a place for both.  Often, all the snapshot photographer tries to capture are the smiling faces of loved ones, or a certain place or well-known area. Easily done with a snapshot.  I don’t denigrate snapshots at all.  Sometimes it’s humorous.  I’ve seen people nearly frozen in time, gathering the courage, or waiting for all the smiles to be just right before pushing the camera’s button, and then being startled by the click.

I take snapshots myself and you might be tempted to put portraits in the same category.   The major difference I find is that with a portrait there’s more concern with lighting and mood, with the photographer attempting to capture the personality of the subject.  You might say that portraits are a point where the artist with the brush and canvas meets the artist with the camera.  There are many other areas where the two meet and sometimes there is a confluence, with paint being applied to photos, or photos used in other artistic compositions. And of course there is Photoshop, with it’s electronically enhanced colors.

Artistic photography has much more latitude than snapshots in lighting and composition.  With snapshots, blur or motion can be devastating, calling for an immediate retake.  But, even with snapshots I readily accept the unplanned, for example, the two people in a group who are talking and not looking at the camera, or the dog who decides it’s time to run through the picture, or the baby who lets everyone know he can scream.  I value the unexpected, which to me makes the shot more memorable in the years to come.

So here are some more examples of this amateur breaking all the common rules of photography and just taking the shot! 




I love foggy mornings.  They carry the promise of mystery and romance.






Always have your camera at the ready.





When I took this shot, I could feel the wind in the tunnel.








Any delicious cocktail is worth a delicious shot.







People provide the most interesting subjects and women the most of all. It's not a question of beauty, but of style and nonchalance and how they look when they don't know they're being observed.







Such a simple shot, but I love the design.







The tomatoes were bright red, but look how a black and white shot brings out the succulence shadows.






A quick stop for wine and another quick photograph.







Daunt Books, London






Cruises give you the freedom of the world.




No comments:

Post a Comment